This article provides options and guidance for administrators managing interruptions to competition fixtures.
The primary options for making changes to competition fixtures are:
- cancel a round of games
- insert a mid-season exception date and reduce the number of rounds
- create post-interruption grades
Depending on the circumstance, these changes can be made to one or more rounds. Further detail and links to support articles are set out below.
If you have any doubt or questions, please seek assistance from the sports governing body support team before implementing any changes by submitting a support request here.
Cancel a round of games
If utilising the ladder points average ladder model, cancelling games will not have an adverse impact on your ladders.
If utilising the total ladder points ladder model, you may want to consider entering game results as draws rather than cancelling games.
Additional information on how to do this can be found here.
A round of games can also be deleted, which will leave teams with byes. Additional information on deleting games can be found here.
Insert a mid-season exception date and reduce the number of rounds
It is recommended that you seek out the assistance of the sports governing body support team prior to completing this for the first time or if you have any queries.
The following steps, and supplementary support material, are set out below:
- Create new season exception date(s). Further information – Managing Seasons.
- Add the newly created season exception date(s) to affected grades. Further information – Managing exception dates for a grade.
- If relevant, remove finals from affected grades. Further information – Adding or removing a grade's finals.
- Ensure all team names are unique within the relevant competition season.
- Wait until all regrading has been completed in the relevant competition season, as using the fixture upload facility requires all future regrading to be completed via fixture upload rather than via the admin portal user interface.
- If/while waiting for rounds to be completed before regrading, ensure that excess rounds are not visible. Relevant support article - Managing the visibility of grades, rounds, scores, and outcomes
- Execute fixture upload to amend the number of rounds. Further information – Adding or removing rounds via the fixture upload feature.
- If relevant, add finals back into affected grades. Relevant support article – Adding or removing a grade's finals.
To utilise the fixture upload, finals must be removed from affected grades and all teams within a competition must have a unique team name.
Create post-interruption grades
Adding 'post-interruption' grades will have the effect of splitting a season into two parts; the first in pre-interruption (current) grades and the second in post-interruption (new) grades.
There may be implications of pre-interruption regrading on ladders (if you didn't want grading period results to carry forward into the regular season).
- If some unplayed games are now in the past:
- Create new grades. This will be the 'post-interruption' grades. Further information – Managing grades.
- Regrade/unallocate teams out of current pre-interruption grades. Further information – Moving a team or teams between grades (Regrade).
- Allocate teams to new post-interruption grades. Further information – Allocating teams to grades.
- Generate fixtures. Further information – Generating a grade's fixture.
- Allocate games using Game Slots or Calendar View.